I hope you all had a great Eid. Here are some of the things we will be working on this week:
- Continuing to write small moment stories – Think of an Idea, Plan, Write, Revise
- Adding detail to stories – asking who, what, where, when, why and how
- Building good reading habits – Take a sneak peak (look at the pictures and make predictions), Check your sneak peek (read the story), Do something at the end (retell the beginning, middle, end; reread the story; reread your favorite page); Reread to smooth out your voice; Read with your eyes scooping up words into phrases.
- Word Work – focus depends on each child’s specific spelling list
- Adding and subtracting within 10.
- Building fluency with addition and subtraction facts to 10 (number bonds)
- Breaking apart numbers into smaller parts to help develop number sense (ex: 2+4=6; 1+5=6; 3+3=6)
- Learning about peace through read alouds and discussions in the classroom.
- Practice counting to 12o and skip counting by 5s and 10s when driving in the car
- Read for 20 minutes each night and record in the Reading Log
- Do something at the end of each book you read (see Literacy above)
- Practice writing spelling words and using them in sentences
- Be a word detective and look for your spelling and sight words in books you are reading
- Practice reading sight words
- Check out some of the cool apps and website that are on the blog!!!
Important Dates and Reminders
- September 21 – 9:00am Start
- September 21 – International Day of Peace (You’re invited to attend our 9:00am Peace Circle)
- Pack enough healthy food for snack and recess so your child is not hungry throughout the day