Here are some of the things we will be working on this week:
- Continuing to write small moment stories – Think of an Idea, Plan, Write, Revise
- Adding detail to stories by studying books to find the authors craft (pop out words, ellipses, exact actions).
- Reading Strategies – try it both ways, use the picture, look at all parts of the word
- Building Good Reading Habits – Introducing books, Partners helping choose strategies to solve unknown words.
- Word Work – focus depends on each child’s specific spelling list
- Adding and subtracting within 20.
- Building fluency with addition and subtraction facts to 10 through games and math sprints.
- Finding multiple ways to break apart a number (ex: 8+0=8, 7+1=8, 6+2=8, 5+3=8, 4+4=8)
- Finding the unknown number in an equation (ex: 8 +? = 11, 5 = – 3, 6 + 6 = )
- Word Problems
- Living things
- Parts of a plant
- What do plants need
- Practice skip counting by 2s and 5s when driving in the car
- Read for 20 minutes each night and record in the Reading Log
- Retell the most important parts of the story in order
- Practice writing spelling words in sentences
- Be a word detective and look for your spelling pattern (ex: -an words) and sight words in books you are reading
- Practice reading sight words
- Check out some of the cool apps and website that are on the blog!!!
Important Dates and Reminders
- October 12 – 9:00am Start (Please pack a snack as students are often hungry before lunch)
- October 26-27 Parent Teacher Conferences
- Send personal headphones to school (if you haven’t already)
- Fill out the Contact Form to share your contact information with other parents
- Art has changed days and times. See the new times here.
- Pack enough healthy food for snack and recess so your child is not hungry throughout the day.