Here are some of the things we will be working on this week:
- Getting our stories ready for publishing – revising and editing
- Using multiple reading strategies when we come to a word we don’t know
- Building Good Reading Habits – Introducing books, Partners helping choose strategies to solve unknown words, Retelling at the end
- Word Work – focus depends on each child’s specific spelling list
- Adding and subtracting within 20.
- Building fluency with addition and subtraction facts to 10 through games and math sprints.
- Finding multiple ways to break apart a number (ex: 8+0=8, 7+1=8, 6+2=8, 5+3=8, 4+4=8)
- Finding the unknown number in an equation (ex: 8 +? = 11, 5 = – 3, 6 + 6 = )
- The associative property of addition (ex: 2+6+4=2+10=12)
- Word Problems
- Parts of a plant
- What do plants need
Home Reading Log
- Each night your child will bring home a different book in their home reading log. The Reading Log inside the bag is simply a way for us to keep track of which book is being sent home. Please continue to record reading in the Reading Log that is in your child’s homework folder.
- Practice skip counting by 2s and 5s when driving in the car
- Read for 20 minutes each night and record in the Reading Log
- Retell the most important parts of the story in order
- Practice writing spelling words in sentences
- Be a word detective and look for your spelling pattern (ex: -an words) and sight words in books you are reading
- Practice reading sight words
- Check out some of the cool apps and website that are on the blog!!!
Important Dates and Reminders
- October 19 – 9:00am Start (Please pack a snack as students are often hungry before lunch)
- October 26-27 Parent Teacher Conferences (Don’t forget to sign up online).
- Halloween will not be celebrated in school, instead, you are encouraged to attend Spooktacular.
- Send personal headphones to school.
- Fill out the Contact Form to share your contact information with other parents.
- Art has changed days and times. See the new times here.
- Pack enough healthy food for snack and recess so your child is not hungry throughout the day.