Here are some of the things we will be working on this week:
- Reading and writing How-To pieces
- Using multiple reading strategies when we come to a word we don’t know
- Word Detectives – recognize a problem and solve it
- Word Work – focus depends on each child’s specific spelling list
- Adding and subtracting within 20.
- Finding multiple ways to break apart a number (ex: 8+0=8, 7+1=8, 6+2=8, 5+3=8, 4+4=8)
- The associative property of addition (ex: 2+6+4=2+10=12)
- Subtraction within 10
- Word Problems
- What plants need
- How plants grow
Home Reading Log
- Each night your child will bring home a different book in their home reading log. The Reading Log inside the bag is simply a way for us to keep track of which book is being sent home. Please continue to record reading in the Reading Log that is in your child’s homework folder.
- Practice counting to 120 starting at any number (ex: start counting at 59!)
- Read for 20 minutes each night and record in the Reading Log
- Retell the most important parts of the story in order
- Be a word detective and look for your spelling pattern (ex: -an words) and sight words in books you are reading
- Check out some of the cool apps and website that are on the blog!!!
Important Dates and Reminders
- November 2 – 9am start
- Send personal headphones to school.
- Fill out the Contact Form to share your contact information with other parents.
- Pack enough healthy food for snack and recess so your child is not hungry throughout the day.